1 - 9 of 9 articles
• The use of landscape indices in the analysis of forest landscapes offers great potential for integration of spatial pattern information in management processes, but requires understanding of the limitations and correct interpretation of results. In this sense, awareness of scale effects on...
• As the French national forest inventory does not currently monitor the lying compartment of the forest deadwood, the figures obtained on this topic are therefore partial. This study provides cost estimates and guidelines for assessing stumps, and standing and lying deadwood.
• Assessment of forest sustainability requires reliable soil quality indicators. The present study evaluated the use of several potential such indicators in forests in the Basque Country under different types of management, involving: (i) species change and (ii) heavily mechanised forest...
• Carabid beetles were investigated at five different forest types in the Ibaizabal basin (northern Spain). The landscape is characterized by the presence of remnants of native forest surrounded by conifer plantations.
• Carabids were trapped in 52 stands of mixed forest, beech forest, holm...
• In forests, the substitution of broadleaf species by conifers can reduce biodiversity because coniferous forests generally provide less diverse vascular understories than broadleaf forests. However, in some cases, former pine plantations might be useful for restoring native forests. We...
• To assess the sustainability of plantation forest management we compare two types of biodiversity indicators. We used the species richness of saproxylic beetles as a case study to test the “species” and “environmental” indicator approaches. We compared single species abundance or occurrence...
• Understorey plays a major role in forest fluxes and stocks balances, however this compartment is generally poorly quantified. Our objectives were to establish models to estimate understorey biomass using vegetation cover measurements and to investigate upscaling methodologies from stand to...
• This work aims at developing new tools for rapid assessment of forest health indicators in poplar plantations.
• Crown transparency and discoloration were visually evaluated in all trees of four 15 m-radius sub-plots in 32 poplar clonal plantations, which were chosen according to a...
Read and print from thousands of top scholarly journals.
Continue with Facebook
Log in with Microsoft
Already have an account? Log in
Bookmark this article. You can see your Bookmarks on your DeepDyve Library.
To save an article, log in first, or sign up for a DeepDyve account if you don’t already have one.
Sign Up Log In
To subscribe to email alerts, please log in first, or sign up for a DeepDyve account if you don’t already have one.
To get new article updates from a journal on your personalized homepage, please log in first, or sign up for a DeepDyve account if you don’t already have one.