Get 20M+ Full-Text Papers For Less Than $1.50/day. Subscribe now for You or Your Team.

Learn More →

Biotargets of Cancer in Current Clinical PracticeHead and Neck Tumours

Biotargets of Cancer in Current Clinical Practice: Head and Neck Tumours [Head and neck tumours comprise a large heterogeneous group, 90% of which are squamous cell carcinomas (HNSCC). The other 10% include a wide range of malignant lesions of the sinonasal tract, pharynx and salivary glands amongst others. As our understanding of the underpinning molecular features of HNSCC and other cancers has increased, the complexity and heterogeneity of these tumours has become evident. Numerous biomarkers for diagnosis, prognosis and therapy have been suggested over the past 20 years, but few are currently applied in routine clinical practice. However, the most recent investigations indicate that this is likely to change markedly. The introduction of inhibitors of the EGFR pathway into clinical trials and the identification of HPV as a diagnostic and prognostic marker in tumours of the oropharynx are only the starting point. The technology has now become available to translate a number of the suggested biomarkers into clinical use. Furthermore, the need to establish the large prospective cohorts required to define the parameters for the clinical use of these tests has been grasped by the H&N community. In particular, salivary and serum testing for diagnosis/screening and monitoring of recurrence has great potential for advances in early detection. A number of clinical trials of targeted therapies in HNSCC show promise in the control of both advanced loco-regional disease and relapsed/metastatic disease. Currently, only cetuximab has gained FDA approval for use, with radiotherapy, in HNSCC.] http://www.deepdyve.com/assets/images/DeepDyve-Logo-lg.png

Biotargets of Cancer in Current Clinical PracticeHead and Neck Tumours

Part of the Current Clinical Pathology Book Series
Editors: Bologna, Mauro

Loading next page...
 
/lp/springer-journals/biotargets-of-cancer-in-current-clinical-practice-head-and-neck-zgL11wPiZQ

References (391)

Publisher
Humana Press
Copyright
© Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2012
ISBN
978-1-61779-614-2
Pages
19 –59
DOI
10.1007/978-1-61779-615-9_2
Publisher site
See Chapter on Publisher Site

Abstract

[Head and neck tumours comprise a large heterogeneous group, 90% of which are squamous cell carcinomas (HNSCC). The other 10% include a wide range of malignant lesions of the sinonasal tract, pharynx and salivary glands amongst others. As our understanding of the underpinning molecular features of HNSCC and other cancers has increased, the complexity and heterogeneity of these tumours has become evident. Numerous biomarkers for diagnosis, prognosis and therapy have been suggested over the past 20 years, but few are currently applied in routine clinical practice. However, the most recent investigations indicate that this is likely to change markedly. The introduction of inhibitors of the EGFR pathway into clinical trials and the identification of HPV as a diagnostic and prognostic marker in tumours of the oropharynx are only the starting point. The technology has now become available to translate a number of the suggested biomarkers into clinical use. Furthermore, the need to establish the large prospective cohorts required to define the parameters for the clinical use of these tests has been grasped by the H&N community. In particular, salivary and serum testing for diagnosis/screening and monitoring of recurrence has great potential for advances in early detection. A number of clinical trials of targeted therapies in HNSCC show promise in the control of both advanced loco-regional disease and relapsed/metastatic disease. Currently, only cetuximab has gained FDA approval for use, with radiotherapy, in HNSCC.]

Published: Mar 2, 2012

Keywords: Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma; Odontogenic Tumour; Salivary Gland Carcinoma; Brush Biopsy; Malignant Salivary Gland Tumour

There are no references for this article.