Get 20M+ Full-Text Papers For Less Than $1.50/day. Subscribe now for You or Your Team.

Learn More →

Late effects of treatment for early-stage Hodgkin's disease

Late effects of treatment for early-stage Hodgkin's disease A comprehensive survey of late effects (physical, social and reproductive) following treatment at a single institution for early stage Hodgkin's disease (HD) was performed. A total of 611 patients with stage I and II HD treated between 1973 and 1984 were reviewed; 460 were alive and were mailed a self-reported questionnaire. A total of 363 (79%) replies were received. Twenty patients died of second malignancy, 14 of heart disease and nine from respiratory disease. There were 37 cases of second malignancy [relative risk (RR) 2.2, absolute excess risk (AR) 35.8]. The 15-year incidence of heart disease was 11% and there were nine myocardial infarction deaths (RR 1.55, AR 5.4). Twenty-eight (8%) respondents stated that their career had been greatly interfered with, 53 (14.5%) perceived financial loss. Sexual activity was disrupted in 25.8%. In total, 56 men had fathered 112 pregnancies. Of 171 women, 40.3% became pregnant, resulting in 92 live births. A total of 43 men and 16 women had sought medical advice with regard to infertility. http://www.deepdyve.com/assets/images/DeepDyve-Logo-lg.png British Journal of Cancer Springer Journals

Late effects of treatment for early-stage Hodgkin's disease

Loading next page...
 
/lp/springer-journals/late-effects-of-treatment-for-early-stage-hodgkin-s-disease-zilq7VnHpG

References (39)

Publisher
Springer Journals
Copyright
Copyright © 1998 by Cancer Research Campaign
Subject
Biomedicine; Biomedicine, general; Cancer Research; Epidemiology; Molecular Medicine; Oncology; Drug Resistance
ISSN
0007-0920
eISSN
1532-1827
DOI
10.1038/bjc.1998.217
Publisher site
See Article on Publisher Site

Abstract

A comprehensive survey of late effects (physical, social and reproductive) following treatment at a single institution for early stage Hodgkin's disease (HD) was performed. A total of 611 patients with stage I and II HD treated between 1973 and 1984 were reviewed; 460 were alive and were mailed a self-reported questionnaire. A total of 363 (79%) replies were received. Twenty patients died of second malignancy, 14 of heart disease and nine from respiratory disease. There were 37 cases of second malignancy [relative risk (RR) 2.2, absolute excess risk (AR) 35.8]. The 15-year incidence of heart disease was 11% and there were nine myocardial infarction deaths (RR 1.55, AR 5.4). Twenty-eight (8%) respondents stated that their career had been greatly interfered with, 53 (14.5%) perceived financial loss. Sexual activity was disrupted in 25.8%. In total, 56 men had fathered 112 pregnancies. Of 171 women, 40.3% became pregnant, resulting in 92 live births. A total of 43 men and 16 women had sought medical advice with regard to infertility.

Journal

British Journal of CancerSpringer Journals

Published: Apr 1, 1998

There are no references for this article.